Tuesday, May 4, 2010

12,000 people 4,000 dogs


Humane Society Walk. When I signed up, I had no idea what a huge walk the humane society was, 4,000 dogs. The enormity began to hit me when over an hour before the walk I drove into a half full overflow parking lot.  That's right, the overflow lot was already half full.  From there you take a shuttle aka a giant bus.

Apparently I looked so daunted when I examined the aforementioned bus when I exclaimed "Those aren't the shuttles are they?! that the people waiting let us get on first so that we had some extra time to make it up those stairs. The bus driver and the volunteers all joined in as we cheered Beckett onto the bus, it took maybe a minute. After which all the dogs and people packed on the to bus. One short ride later we made it to registration.  With so many dogs and people the registration was to put it lightly - hectic.  I had to fill out forms and watch over my dog, which is - lets face it impossible.  Luckily Beckett is paying attention to me, click treat fill out form line, click treat fill out form, and so forth.

The place was completely mobbed and the only thing even approaching the number of dogs is the piles of dog puke. And as other dogs were obviously overwhelmed, Beckett seemed to take comfort in training, heeling, and simply focusing on me.  Even after  hours Beckett was still in the game, he was even better then on our everyday walk.  I couldn't have done it without the clicker and a great dog.  Beckett was incredible.  I'm so proud of my puppy! 

1 comment: