Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sweet Potato Dog Cookies



I tested this recipe out in dog class today and at the dog friendly coffee shop; it was a big hit at both places. I think these will be the next cookies I'll offer to sell online. That is right - I'm selling my homemade treats online! I had my first sale on Sunday.

1 cup puree'd sweet potato
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 TBLS Rosemary
2 cups brown rice flour

Mince the rosemary and combine it with the olive oil. Mix together the flaxseed and sweet potato puree, set it aside for a few minutes. Then add all the ingredients together. You should get a dough that sticks together, but isn't sticking to your hands (to much).

Sweet potato and nutritional yeast is flavorful and like the name might imply nutritious. Rosemary is suppose to be great for dogs, helping to support circulation and the immune system. I haven't tested this out yet, but optionally, I would add a small clove of freshly pressed garlic.

Garlic is actually controversial. Some sources say it is good for your dog, while others suggest that it is not. I've discussed this issue with several people who have - what I consider vast amounts of knowledge about canine nutrition and the consensus was this: in small or moderate amounts garlic is good for your dog and can boost the immune system. However, in large amounts it can be dangerous. So you'll just have to use your own judgment when it comes to adding or not adding garlic.

I rolled the the dough into balls by hand and then flattened them with the bottom of a glass. I wanted them super crunchy so I baked them for the hours it always takes to bake crunchy dog cookies at 250F

3 comments:

  1. I think my dogs would go ga-ga-ga for these. I should have a baking day.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how are the online sales going? if you want some exposure to a big audience of greyhound owners who are all kind of weird and obsessed and love dog cookies, i can point you there :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fairly new to this making your own dog treats. How many hours would you suggest for the hours of cooking these at 250? Do you have other recipes? Thanks! Hope your online sales are going great!

    ReplyDelete