Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dental Surgery


Yesterday Beckett had dental surgery. We went to the Minnesota University Vet School, where they have a dental program. I dropped off Beckett at 6:30 in the morning. He was cheek puffing nervous and wouldn't go with the technican. It was the end of her shift, but she didn't rush, she waited for Beckett to approach her, then let him take his time getting use to her before bringing him inside.

I left a note asking them to call me before the procedure. I was nervous and wanted to make sure I was making the right decision. Around 8:00am I talked with the dental technician, then I thought up some more questions and called again. I knew I was that crazy women, but I couldn't help myself and I figured I was paying enough - The women answered all of my questions, she wanted me to feel comfortable. She suggested having the vet call me after Beckett is under and they have all the X-rays. Around 9:30 I got a call from Beckett's vet dentist, we went over the results of the X-rays, everything looked like it did on the outside, and we went with the root canal and the filing of the other canine. While he was under he also got his teeth cleaned and polished (like a dental cleaning you or I would get).

Around noon I was called again, the vet updated me on how the surgery went, and noted Beckett was pretty nervous, but doing well so if I wanted to pick him up early it might be for the best. I could get him any time after 2:30. I was there at 2:30. They brought Beckett out and he looked stressed but okay. His two bottom canines were and are now super short, but unlikely to chip or fracture. Everything went exactly by the book, and I even found out that the anesthesiologist was in love with Beckett, always a surprise, Beckett (like me) is someone that usually grows on you in time. Beckett was prescribed some chewable NSAIDS, to help with the pain and inflammation, which we picked up and went on our way home.

Even with the medication, last night he looked pretty uncomfortable, he had a hard time settling down, and was whining quite a bit. Today he seems much more himself. His teeth look good. I can say, I am happy with the procedure, they took utmost care of my pup.

1 comment:

  1. Alright Beckett! Shiny and clean teeth are the best. You need to demand some raw turkey necks. They're crunchy, delicious, and keep your teeth clean :D.

    ReplyDelete