Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Monster Green Dog Treats



I wanted to re-make the deep green dog biscuits that I gave to my dog in childhood.  I'm not sure what they did to make those things green, but here I use spirulina powder (spirulina is an alga) mixed with alfalfa powder (alfalfa is plant in the pea family).  Both of these are are super healthy. My dog LOVES spirulina.  However, alfalfa powder and spirulina powder aren't so easy to find - I order mine online and often add some to Beckett's food as a special treat.

Monster Green Dog Treats

2 level cups of unsweetened apple sauce and pureed sweet potato*
2 TBLS spirulina powder
1 TBLS alfalfa powder
2 TBLS finely ground potato flour
1 tsp maple syrup

*Cook your sweet potato however you like (this time I just bought a giant sweet potato at the farmers market cubed it and cooked in the microwave until the sweet potato was soft).  Put about 1 cup of the cooked sweet potato into the blender with about 1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce (you may need more apple sauce to make the mixture smooth.).

 
Beckett loves licking the bowl

Mix the ingredients above. Spoon the mixture into a plastic bag, cut the corner and pipe small amounts onto some parchment paper laid out on a cookie sheet much like my previous sweet potato bits recipe.  Bake on a very low temperature until they reach the desired crunchiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment