Thursday, October 29, 2009

Rainy Day Video: Training "Mat"



It's raining and for a change I thought I'd share a training video of me attempting to train my dog. That's right, I'm not great, but we manage. Here we are working on the command "mat" we started by putting the mat some place where he would step on it, and clicked every time he hit the mat. Of course every click gets a treat. Eventually we would only click when he had all four paws on the mat, and after that, only when he would go down on the mat. I found the secret for a more consistent mat command is when he goes down on the mat to: first click, then give two treats, one right after another, then throw a third treat off the mat so that he gets up off the mat. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Beckett also knows the command "up" which I use here, because it's quicker and I only have so much space on my camera. Anyways, its not perfect, I'm not perfect, I have bad timing, and I tend to repeat my commands (which is not helpful when training an animal) but I thought I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment